Be part of the change. Tomelo strives for sustainable development and to protect and endangered species, the miranda donkey. Their products utilize donkey milk, famously known for it’s amazing nutritional properties that guarantees you the best moisturizing and cleansing experience.
Tomelo was established in 2006 in Miranda do Douro, Northeast of Portugal. Their goal is to develop environmental sustainability, fair trade, preserve endangered species and contribute to the sustainable development of a poor region of Portugal.
By bringing top design to their products, utilising raw materials from the area and partnering with the local community Tomelo generates sustainable employment which fights desertification of the region. Hence, developing the human, natural and genetic patrimony of the Northeast of Portugal.
Donkey milk was hailed by the ancients as an elixir of long life, a cure-all for a variety of elements, and a powerful tonic capable of rejuvenating the skin. More than 2000 years ago, Queen Cleopatra VII of Egypt was said to carry 700 donkeys with her to use the benefits of their milk. She was aware of its toning, moisturising and rejuvenating properties. In ancient Rome, Pompey also used it to maintain its smooth skin, soft and retaining its youth. Josephine of Napoleon had the same practice.
All Tomelo soaps, thanks to donkey milk, are rich in vitamin E, amino acids, vitamins A, B1, B6, C, D, E, OMEGA 3 AND 6. They Contain high amounts of calcium, and 4 times less fat. In addition, it naturally contains a retinol allowing you to look younger. As a result there are several documented benefits of donkey milk soaps:
- Donkey milk soap has recently been proven to effectively treat acne.
- Donkey milk soap is less allergenic than synthetically loaded commercial soaps and detergents.
- Donkey’s milk soaps are free from harmful chemicals and a very mild soap bar safe to use for all skin conditions.
- It is known that Donkey milk can reduce skin inflammation, and soothes dry and damaged skin.
- Regenerates skin. The soap of donkey milk is regenerative for the skin because of high levels of protein, phospholipides and ceramides, which in turn confer it with both soothing and restructuring properties.
- Provides natural anti-aging skin care. The rich composition of donkey milk with high protein levels of phospholipids and vitamins A, B, C, D and E make it excellent for anti-aging, wrinkle treatment, restructuring and regenerating facial with excellent results.
- Donkey’s milk soap has alpha-hydroxy acids that soften the skin by breaking down the glue that holds dead skin cells together.
- Donkey’s milk has the closest PH level to our skin. This helps protect our skin from invading bacteria and chemicals.
- Donkey milk consists of natural emollients and triglycerides that act as natural moisturiser.
For all these reasons, this product is much more than a quality commercial product: it is a project that actively contributes to the preservation of Biodiversity and conservation of the Genetic Heritage, contributes to the social preservation of many uses and customs associated with the threatened species, Therefore, it should also be seen as a project of Eco Social and Cultural Development